Nobody looks forward to paying premiums for car insurance, especially when they know their premiums are through the roof.
Unbelievable but true according to a study the vast majority of consumers have been with the same company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. Many drivers in the U.S. can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they don't believe the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies.
There is such a variety of car insurance companies to pick from, and although it's nice to have multiple companies, it makes it harder to adequately compare rates for Ford F-150 insurance in Norfolk.
It's a good idea to compare premium rates before your next renewal because prices tend to go up over time. Even if you got the lowest rate on Ford F-150 insurance in Norfolk at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you're about to learn how to use the internet to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
We hope to help educate you on how auto insurance companies operate and also save some money in the process If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to find better prices using this strategy. But Virginia car owners must learn the way companies determine prices because it can help you find the best coverage.
Best companies for Ford F-150 insurance
The companies in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Norfolk, VA. If multiple companies are shown, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to get the most affordable price.
Get cheap Ford F-150 insurance in Norfolk with discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may find discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before being credited.
- Organization Discounts - Being in certain professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a Norfolk car insurance quote.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Insuring multiple vehicles on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase if you have no claims for a specific time period.
- Auto/Life Discount - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you lower premium rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Student Discounts - A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Telematics Data Discounts - People who choose to allow driving data collection to spy on where and when they drive by using a telematic data system like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may see discounts if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Senior Discount - Mature drivers may qualify for better insurance rates.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works. Any amount of discount will positively reduce the cost of your policy.
A list of insurance companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for seat belt use, multi-policy, membership and employees, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, and military active duty.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for company car, anti-lock brakes, teen driver, multiple vehicles, and air bags.
- American Family may include discounts for TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, air bags, defensive driver, good student, and mySafetyValet.
- Esurance includes discounts for DriveSense, multi-car, multi-policy, renters, and claim free.
- Progressive has savings for multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- State Farm has discounts for anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, defensive driving training, passive restraint, and driver's education.
- AAA offers discounts including good student, good driver, anti-theft, pay-in-full, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, and multi-car.
If you are trying to find low cost Norfolk car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent how you can save money. Some discounts listed above may not apply everywhere. To see providers that offer many of these discounts in Virginia, click here.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
Many factors are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other factors are less apparent such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are.
The itemized list below are a few of the things used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
- Your address can push rates up or down - Residing in a rural area can save you money if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Urban drivers have to deal with more traffic problems and more severe claims. More time behind the wheel means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Only buy extra coverages you need - There are a lot of extra add-on coverages you can purchase if you don't pay attention. Add-on coverages like rental car coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage are examples of these. They may seem good at first, but your needs may have changed so consider taking them off your policy.
- Credit score impacts premium premiums - Having a bad credit rating factor in determining what you pay. If your credit rating could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Ford F-150 if you improve your credit rating. People with very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit.
- Gender and auto insurance costs - Over time, data shows women are more cautious behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Men and women get in auto accidents in similar numbers, but men cause more damage. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Higher rates for specific jobs - Occupations such as doctorspolice officers and accountants tend to have the highest rates because of intense work-related stress and lots of time spent away from family. On the flip side, careers like scientists, athletes and homemakers receive lower rates.
- Infrequent drivers can save - Driving a lot of miles in a year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies rate vehicles based upon how much you drive. Autos not used for work or commuting receive better premium rates than those that get driven frequently. Verify your insurance policy is rated on the correct driver usage. A policy that improperly rates your F-150 is just wasting money.
- Liability protection preserves assets - Your insurance policy's liability coverage kicks in when a court rules you are at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Ford F-150 statistical loss data - Companies include the past claim trends for vehicles when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that the data determines to have a trend towards higher claims will have increased rates. The table shown below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Ford F-150 vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, equals 100. Values that are below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or statistically larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Ford F-150 Models
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford F-150 SuperCab 4WD 67 110 39 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2WD 42 93 72 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4WD 75 76 101 56 57 76
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance agencies are trained to help
A lot of people prefer to talk to a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper prices and still have a local agent. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Norfolk.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Norfolk who want to provide quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to find an agent since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you wish to quote rates from a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
If you want a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agencies in Norfolk can be described as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not locked into one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your premiums go up, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don't have to switch agencies.
When searching for an agent, you will definitely want to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following is a partial list of independent agents in Norfolk that can possibly get you free car insurance rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
These type of agents have only one company to place business with such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company's prices so you might not find the best rates. They are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Norfolk that can give you price quote information.
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Virginia?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- How often do they review coverages?
Upon getting satisfactory answers to your questions and locked in a price quote, most likely you have located an insurance agent that will provide car insurance coverage.
But the ad said I'd save 15% in 15 minutes!
Auto insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive endlessly run television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to state the claim about saving some big amount if you move your auto insurance policy to them. But how can every company claim to save you money? This is the way they can do it.
Companies quote their cheapest rates for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. For example, a profitable insured might be described as over the age of 40, has a clear driving record, and has excellent credit. A driver who matches that profile will get very good Norfolk prices and will most likely save when they switch companies.
People who are not a match for the "perfect" profile may be forced to pay higher premiums and this results in the customer buying from someone else. The wording the ads use say "people who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save money. That is how insurance companies can make claims like that.
That is why you should get Norfolk car insurance quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict which company will have the lowest rates for your situation.
The most affordable rates come from being thorough
Cost effective Ford F-150 insurance is attainable from both online companies in addition to many Norfolk insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some auto insurance companies don't offer rate quotes online and usually these regional carriers work with independent insurance agencies.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don't skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to regret that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about auto insuranceVirginia is located on the following sites: