Feel like you're a prisoner to overpriced auto insurance? It's a common feeling and many Charlottesville drivers feel the same as you.
Remarkably, a study showed that almost 70% of insureds have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and just under half have never shopped around. Charlottesville insurance shoppers could save almost $500 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they underestimate how much savings they would realize if they changed companies. There are many car insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and even though it's nice to be able to choose, it can be more challenging to find the best rates.
It's important to get comparison quotes before your next renewal due to the fact that insurance rates go up and down regularly. Even if you think you had the best rate on auto insurance on your last policy a different company probably has better prices today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because it's time to teach you one of the easiest ways to find lower rates on auto insurance.
Cutting your Charlottesville auto insurance rates is pretty simple and can save money. All you need to do is take time comparing price quotes online from several insurance companies.
It's so easy to compare rates online that it makes it a waste of time to spend your day driving to each insurance agency near you. Quoting auto insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you have a complicated situation and need the guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. However, consumers can comparison shop your insurance online but buy the policy through an agent.
The companies shown below can provide free quotes in Charlottesville, VA. If the list has multiple companies, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Car insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Auto insurance companies don't always publicize every available discount in a way that's easy to find, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous savings tricks you should be using when you buy Charlottesville car insurance online.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a new car can get you a discount due to better safety requirements for newer vehicles.
- Life Insurance Discount - Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles can earn better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Driver Safety - Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Pay Upfront and Save - By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
One last thing about discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
To see a list of providers that offer many of these discounts in Charlottesville, click here to view.
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Even though it can be expensive, buying car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also pay for many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your car insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. Today the average American driver is overpaying over $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to save money.
Get rate quotes but work with a local Charlottesville insurance agency
Many drivers just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Most agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is you can get cheaper prices and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents that give free quotes for your business. You won't need to leave your house since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Where are claims handled?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- How long has their agency been in business in Charlottesville?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
After talking to the agent and getting good answers and an acceptable price quote, you may have found an insurer that can be relied on to properly insure your vehicles. But keep in mind you have the power to cancel your coverage for any reason so don't feel that you're stuck with the insurance policy with no way out.