Feeling guilty for buying an expensive car insurance policy? Don't feel bad because there are many Leesburg drivers thinking the same thing.
Unthinkable but true, about 70% of customers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never shopped around. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could cut their rates by as much as $859 a year just by comparing rates, but most tend to underestimate the benefits if they switched.
Due to the abundance of insurance providers from which to choose, it's nearly impossible to find the right insurance company.
Finding the most affordable coverage in Leesburg is easy if you know what you're doing. Virtually each driver who shops around for insurance stands a good chance to find a lower-cost company. Although Virginia vehicle owners must learn the way companies calculate your insurance rates because rates fluctuate considerably.
Just keep in mind that comparing a wide range of rates gives you a better chance of getting better pricing. Not every company does quotes over the internet, so you should also compare quotes from them, too.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Virginia. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Cheaper Leesburg auto insurance quotes with discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you may find discounts that you may not even know about. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but a few need to be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Good Grades Discount - Maintaining excellent grades may save as much as 25% on a Leesburg auto insurance quote. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Payment Method - By paying your entire bill at once as opposed to paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low annual miles may allow you to get lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Professional Memberships - Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups may earn a discount on auto insurance.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking a driver safety course could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few insurance companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
As a sidenote, most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business. Any amount of discount will definitely reduce your policy cost.
Larger auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, federal employee, membership and employees, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, and anti-theft.
- Travelers may offer discounts for payment discounts, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, student away at school, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau discounts include multi-vehicle, driver training, 55 and retired, safe driver, multi-policy, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for new vehicle discount, preferred payment discount, multi-policy, hybrid vehicle, and safety features.
- American Family offers discounts for accident-free, air bags, good driver, defensive driver, bundled insurance, TimeAway discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, and multi-policy.
Before you buy a policy, ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts might not be offered in Leesburg. To locate providers that offer many of these discounts in Leesburg, click this link.
Make smart decisions and lower your rates
Many factors are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although others are not as apparent such as your marital status or your commute time. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to cheaper rates.
Know your vehicle's safety rating - Safe vehicles are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower rates of occupant injuries means less claims paid and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your car or truck is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
Pay more by driving carelessly - Careful drivers receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Just one speeding ticket or other violation can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers who have received serious violations like DUI or reckless driving may find they need to complete a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
Pleasure use or commuting - The higher the miles on your car each year the higher your rate. Many insurance companies charge to insure your cars based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your vehicle rating states the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Low physical damage deductibles cost more - The deductibles represent how much money the insured will be required to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. Insurance for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are colliding with a stationary object, vandalism, and damage caused by road hazards. The more expense you're willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
Liability protection limits are a factor - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the protection if a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. This coverage provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Can't I compare rates from local Leesburg auto insurance agents?
Some people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can find cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is important especially in Leesburg.
By using this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your business. There is no need to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. You can find better rates without having to waste a lot of time. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
If you want to use a local Leesburg insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Auto insurance policy providers can either be independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not required to write business for one company and that gives them the ability to insure with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you definitely need to get several quotes from at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with and some examples include Allstate and State Farm. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies are well schooled on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Choosing a insurance agent should include more criteria than just the price. Any good agent in Leesburg should know the answers to these questions.
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Leesburg?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
Insurance advertising tricks
Big name companies like Allstate and Progressive regularly use television and radio advertisements. All the companies advertise the message about savings if you just switch your insurance coverage to their company. How is it possible that every company can charge lower premium rates? It's all in the wording.
All the different companies require specific criteria for a prospective insured that will generate a profit. For instance, a desirable risk might be a married male, has no tickets, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any new insured that matches those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes in Leesburg and will also cut their insurance rates if they switch.
Drivers who are not a match for the "perfect" profile will be charged higher premium rates with the end result being the customer buying from someone else. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say "drivers that switch" not "all people who quote" save that much money. That's why companies can truthfully make those statements.
This really emphasizes why you should compare price quotes frequently. It's just not possible to know with any certainty which company will be your best fit.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
When searching for the cheapest Leesburg auto insurance quotes, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We just covered a lot of tips how to save on car insurance in Leesburg. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
More affordable car insurance in Leesburg can be bought online in addition to many Leesburg insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not have rates over the internet and many times these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
More tips and info about car insurance is available in these articles: