When trying to find cheaper insurance, do you get frustrated by the crazy number of auto insurance providers in your area? You have such a vast assortment of providers available that it can really be a difficult situation to find the perfect company for you. Richmond is a great city to raise a family in, but budgeting for expensive auto insurance can make it hard to be able to afford adequate coverage.
Unbelievable but true, most Virginia auto insurance customers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. Drivers in the United States can save almost $860 each year, but they won't spend time to find cheaper insurance by shopping around.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce premiums using this information. We hope to tell you the most effective ways to compare rates. But Virginia car owners need to learn the methods companies use to market on the web.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap rates in Virginia
The providers in the list below provide free quotes in Richmond, VA. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Car insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you might be missing out on some discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some trigger automatically at the time of quoting, but some must be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- Good Drivers - Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Buying a new car instead of a used Cruze can cost up to 25% less since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Federal Government Employee - Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off with some car insurance companies.
- Driver Education Discount - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver's education in high school.
- Auto/Life Discount - Some insurance carriers give a discounted car insurance rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Passing a defensive driving course is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
- E-sign Discounts - Some insurance companies provide a small discount for buying your policy on your computer.
- College Student Discount - Youth drivers who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works.
If you would like to view car insurance companies that offer discounts in Richmond, click here to view.
The Chevy Cruze Insurance Rate Equation
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help determine the rates you pay for insurance. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can earn you lower rates. Many factors are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but others are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
- Pay more of a claim out-of-pocket - Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your Chevy from damage. Some examples of covered claims would be collision with another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and burglary. The deductibles you choose state the amount of money the insured will be required to pay if the claim is covered. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the less your insurance will be.
- Married people drive safer - Having a significant other may save some money compared to being single. Marriage translates into being more financially stable it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- More people means more accidents - Residing in less populated areas can save you money when talking about insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accident claims as well as less vandalism and auto theft. People in densely populated areas tend to have traffic congestion and longer commute times. More time on the road statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- How's your driving record? - How you drive influences premium rates substantially. Just one driving citation may cause rates to rise by as much as twenty percent. Attentive drivers receive lower rates compared to bad drivers. Drivers who have received flagrant violations like DUI or willful reckless driving are required to prove financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to legally drive.
- Which gender costs less? - Statistics demonstrate that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, don't assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. Males and females cause auto accidents at a similar rate, but guys tend to have higher claims. Men also get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Young males are most likely to cause an accident and therefore have the most expensive insurance rates.
- Teenage drivers are expensive to insure - Older, more experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and usually have better credit.Youthful drivers have been known to be more careless when driving with friends so they pay higher insurance rates.
- Insurance losses for a Chevy Cruze - Car insurance companies include the past claim trends for vehicles in order to profitably underwrite each model. Models that tend to have higher claim amounts or frequency will have a higher premium rate. The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for Chevy Cruze vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles, as an average, is set at 100. Numbers that are below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values that are above 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Chevrolet Cruze Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Cruze 96 132 87 136 153 152
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Your insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When selecting insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone's needs are different and your insurance should be unique as well. These are some specific questions could help you determine if your situation might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Buying from insurance agents
Many drivers still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still have a local agent.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Richmond that can give you free Richmond car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. Get lower rates AND a local agent. If you wish to compare prices from a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Before buying a policy in Richmond, get answers to these questions.
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, it's important to understand the different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Richmond agents are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type work for only one company and examples are State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. These agents are trained well on what they offer which helps them sell on service rather than price. Consumers frequently buy from the same agent for years primarily because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following are Richmond exclusive insurance agents that are able to give price quote information.
- State Farm: Ray Garfinkel
3600 W Broad St #106 - Richmond, VA 23230 - (804) 288-5470 - View Map
- Steve Dowdy - State Farm Insurance Agent
1011 E Main St #75 - Richmond, VA 23219 - (804) 788-9022 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: The Thomas Dale Agency Inc
6837 Forest Hill Ave - Richmond, VA 23225 - (804) 747-4407 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent do not work for one specific company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you want to switch companies, they can switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you should always get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison. They often place coverage with small mutual carriers which can save you money.
The following is a list of independent agents in Richmond willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Diversity Insurance Agency
6002 W Broad St Suite 201 - Richmond, VA 23230 - (804) 288-4810 - View Map
- Virginia Insurance Group, Inc.
5402 Glenside Dr c - Richmond, VA 23228 - (804) 288-7312 - View Map
- Brown and Brown Insurance Agency of Virginia
8570 Magellan Pkwy #1100 - Richmond, VA 23227 - (804) 627-1000 - View Map
Car insurance advertising gotchas
Respected companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm endlessly run ads on television and other media. They all advertise the message that drivers will save a bundle if you change your car insurance coverage to their company. How is it plausible that every one can have lower policy pricing? This is how they do it.
Companies give the best rates for the type of driver that will generate a profit. For example, this type of insured could be between the ages of 30 and 50, owns their home, and does not commute to work. A driver that fits those parameters will probably get the lowest premium rates and most likely will save some money.
Drivers who don't measure up to those criteria will probably have to pay a higher rate and the customer buying from a different company. If you listen closely, the ads state "customers that switch" not "everyone who quotes" save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can state the savings. That is why it is so important to do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It's not possible to predict which insurance companies will be your best fit.
Do the work, save more money
We just showed you many ideas to shop for Chevy Cruze insurance online. It's most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Chevrolet Cruze rate quotes. You may even find the most savings is with the least-expected company. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Cheaper car insurance in Richmond can be purchased on the web and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies do not provide price quotes online and usually these small insurance companies work with local independent agents.
To read more, link through to the articles below: