Wish you could get out of an expensive insurance policy? Trust us, there are many Virginia Beach drivers thinking the same thing.
It's shocking but nearly 70% of consumers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Drivers in Virginia Beach could pocket nearly 45% a year, but they just don't want to find cheaper rates by getting comparison quotes.
Many car insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the lowest rate on Honda Civic insurance in Virginia Beach.
Consumers should take time to price shop coverage quite often because insurance prices go up and down regularly. If you had the best rates on Honda Civic insurance in Virginia Beach on your last policy you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the proper way to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
Cheapest companies for Honda Civic insurance
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Virginia. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you get rates from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Smart Consumers Can Lower Their Insurance Prices
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the different types of things that aid in calculating car insurance rates. When you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs. Many things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, but other criteria are not quite as obvious like where you live or your commute time.
The items below are some of the things companies use to determine rates.
- How credit history affects car insurance prices - An insured's credit score can be a huge factor in determining what you pay. Drivers with excellent credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with lower credit scores. So if your credit history could use some work, you could pay less to insure your Honda Civic by improving your credit score.
- Better drivers pay the best prices - A bad driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Attentive drivers tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to careless drivers. Getting just one speeding ticket can increase the cost of insurance forty percent or more. Drivers who have serious citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to complete a SR-22 with their state's licensing department in order to prevent a license revocation.
- How your age affects prices - Older people are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cost insurance companies less in claims, and usually have better credit.Youthful drivers are statistically shown to be less responsible in a vehicle so they pay higher car insurance rates.
- Get hitched and pay less - Being married may cut your premiums on your car insurance policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being less irresponsible and statistics prove drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Is car insurance cheaper for males or females? - Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. The data does not necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Both genders are responsible for at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more major tickets such as reckless driving. Young males are most likely to cause an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Job and insurance prices - Occupational choices like military generalsairline pilots and stock brokers generally have higher premium rates in part from intense work requirements and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations like scientists, students and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Always have car insurance - Driving your car without having proper coverage is a big no-no and companies may charge more for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will rates go up, the inability to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Claims statistics for a Honda Civic - Companies use statistical claims data to help calculate premium costs. Vehicles that have higher loss trends will have higher premium rates.
The next table shows the actual insurance loss data for Honda Civic vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is represented as 100. Values that are below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers above 100 point to more losses or a tendancy for losses to be larger than average.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Honda Civic Vehicles
Specific Honda Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Civic 92 105 68 127 135 121 Honda Civic Hybrid 90 85 106 105 78 Honda Civic Si 126 97 117 124 104
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
These discounts can lower Honda Civic insurance rates
Some providers don't always publicize every discount they offer in a way that's easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known as well as the least known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Smart Student Discounts - Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking time to complete a defensive driving class could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Buy New and Save - Buying a new car instead of a used Civic can get you a discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Data Collection Discounts - Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to study driving manner by using a telematics device such as Progressive's Snapshot could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
- Active Military Service - Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Employee of Federal Government - Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% with a few car insurance companies.
- Multiple Vehicles - Insuring multiple vehicles on a single policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - This isn't a discount exactly, but a few companies such as State Farm and Allstate permit an accident without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Cautious Drivers - Drivers who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Virginia Beach car insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few car insurance companies give discounts for switching companies before your current Civic insurance policy expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky.
Insurance companies that may have some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies which credits you are entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be offered in Virginia Beach. If you would like to see a list of car insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Virginia Beach, click this link.
Independent or exclusive auto insurance agents
Some people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you can get lower rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Virginia Beach who want to provide quotes to get your business. You never need to do any legwork because prices are sent to you instantly. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and work with a local agent. If you wish to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you can always jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an provider needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Virginia Beach?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Virginia Beach?
Insurance agent types
If you're trying to find a local insurance agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Agents in Virginia Beach can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive agents are contracted to one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Virginia Beach who can help you get rate quotes.
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can quote policies through many different auto insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, they can switch companies in-house and you don't have to switch agencies.
When comparing auto insurance rates, it's recommended you include several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below is a list of independent agents in Virginia Beach that can give you price quote information.
Everyone needs different car insurance coverages
When it comes to your policy, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your car insurance should unique, too. These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
- What does medical payments cover?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Honda Civic?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Cheaper auto insurance is a realistic goal
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it's not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, someone sacrificed collision coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented many ways to reduce Honda Civic insurance car insurance rates online in Virginia Beach. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the best price on auto insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Other learning opportunities
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)