Would you like to find more competitive Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake? Having to pay for high-priced Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake can bottom out your funds and force you to make tough financial choices.
A study showed that most car insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and 38% of drivers have never even compared rates from other companies. Most drivers in Virginia can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't believe how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy. People have multiple auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it's nice to be able to choose, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates for your vehicles.
Seven factors that affect insurance costs
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that help calculate the rates you pay for insurance. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that could help you find lower insurance prices.
The itemized list below are most of the major factors that factor into prices.
- Save money with responsible credit - Having a bad credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay. People that have very good credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit scores. So if your credit rating is low, you may save money insuring your Honda Civic by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- You may save more by combining policies - Many insurers apply better rates to insureds who carry more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, consumers should still check prices from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates. It's possible to still find better rates even if you insure with multiple companies
- Discounts for married drivers - Walking down the aisle may earn you lower rates on insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more stable financially and statistics show married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- How much liability coverage do you need? - Liability coverage will protect you if ever you are found liable for damages from an accident. This coverage provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Never allow your insurance policy to lapse - Allowing your coverage to lapse is a sure-fire way to increase your insurance rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.
- Frequent insurance claims will increase rates - Car insurance companies in Virginia provide the lowest premiums to drivers who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Pay more for higher performance vehicles - The performance of the vehicle you drive makes a big difference in your rates. Since the Honda Civic is a passenger car, insuring your vehicle will cost similar in price or lower when compared to the average rates in Chesapeake. Low performance passenger cars usually are quite affordable to insure, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Insurance loss data for a Honda Civic - Companies use claims history when they calculate premium prices for each model. Vehicles that statistically have higher losses will cost more for specific coverages.
The table below shows the compiled insurance loss statistics for Honda Civic vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is set at 100. Numbers that are below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent claims or tendancy to have higher losses.
Honda Civic Insurance Loss Statistics
Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Civic 92 105 68 127 135 121 Honda Civic Hybrid 90 85 106 105 78 Honda Civic Si 126 97 117 124 104
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
The following companies have been selected to offer price comparisons in Virginia. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
The largest companies are not always cheapest
Consumers can't avoid all the ads for insurance savings by Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the companies advertise the message about savings if you move to them.
How can each company offer drivers better rates? It's all in the words they use.
Companies quote their best rates for the type of customer that earns them the most money. A good example of a preferred risk should be a mature driver, has never had a claim, and insures a new vehicle. Any new insured who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and therefore will save if they switch.
Potential customers who fall outside those criteria may receive higher prices and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The trick companies use is to say "people that switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" can save as much as they claim. That is how companies can make the claims of big savings.
Because every company is different, drivers should compare quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to guess the company that will provide you with the cheapest Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake.
Why you need to buy auto insurance
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is required by state law in Virginia and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Honda Civic, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your Honda Civic but also your financial assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendent in an auto accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your auto insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so it's important to compare rates once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get cheaper Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake with discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but there's a good chance there are discounts that can help lower your rates. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Fewer annual miles on your Honda may allow you to get lower premium rates due to less chance of an accident.
- E-sign Discounts - Some of the larger companies will provide an incentive simply for signing on the internet.
- Sign Early and Save - A few auto insurance companies give discounts for switching to them prior to the expiration date on your current Civic insurance policy. The savings is around 10%.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save a little off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Mature drivers could receive a small discount on rates.
- Clubs and Organizations - Being in a civic or occupational organization in Chesapeake is a good way to get lower rates on your next renewal.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies will let one accident slide without raising rates as long as you don't have any claims before the accident.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Having several vehicles with the same auto insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
Discounts lower rates, but some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you're out of luck.
Companies that may include some of the discounts shown above include:
Double check with each insurance company the best way to save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in Chesapeake. To find companies offering auto insurance discounts in Chesapeake, click this link.
Independent and exclusive insurance agents
Some consumers prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and often times that is recommended Good insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheaper auto insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from and supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Chesapeake.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to companies in Chesapeake who will gladly provide quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to find an agent as quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you just need to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
The following is a short list of auto insurance companies in Chesapeake that are able to give comparison quotes for Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake.
Finding the right provider should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
Everyone needs different car insurance coverages
When selecting your policy, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Does my Honda Civic qualify for pleasure use?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
If you're not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
The lowest rates come from being thorough
You just learned a lot of tips how to save on Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
The cheapest Honda Civic insurance in Chesapeake can be found both online as well as from independent agents in Chesapeake, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers only sell through independent agents.
For more information, feel free to browse these articles: