Trying to find the cheapest insurance for a new or used Ford F-150 in Virginia could be a painful process, but you can follow a few tricks to find lower rates.
There is a right way and a wrong way to buy auto insurance and you need to know the absolute fastest way to price shop coverage for a new or used Ford and locate the lowest price.
You should make it a habit to shop coverage around occasionally because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you found the lowest price on Ford F-150 insurance in Chesapeake on your last policy you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because it's time to teach you how to use the internet to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, use these techniques to find the best rates while maximizing coverage. Obtaining price quotes for the most affordable car insurance in Chesapeake is not as difficult as people think. You just need to know the least time-consuming way to compare different rates online from multiple companies.
The providers in the list below provide quotes in Chesapeake, VA. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you click on several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Insuring your Ford F-150 just makes sense
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Ford F-150 in Chesapeake, insuring your vehicle is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability if you drive a vehicle. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Ford F-150 has a loan, more than likely the lender will require you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Ford for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your F-150 definitely exceed the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $869 every year so it's recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Car insurance myths debunked
Consumers in Virginia get pounded daily by advertisements for car insurance savings from the likes of GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all convey the message that drivers will save a bundle if you switch to them.
How is it possible that every company can make the same claim?
Many companies have specific characteristics for the type of insured that is profitable for them. One example of a profitable risk profile should be between the ages of 30 and 45, has a clean driving record, and does not commute to work. Any new insured that matches those criteria will get low rates as well as save if they switch.
Consumers who cannot meet those standards will probably have to pay a higher premium which translates to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state "customers that switch" not "everyone who quotes" will save that much if they switch. That's why insurance companies can confidently make claims that they all have the best premium rates.
Each company has different criteria, so drivers must do a price quote comparison at every renewal. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which company will have the best auto insurance rates at this point in time.
Lower rate quotes by taking advantage of these eight discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there are discounts available that you may not even know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but some need to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving less could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Telematics Devices - People who choose to allow companies to analyze their driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate permit an accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you haven't had any claims for a specific time period.
- Student Driver Training - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll and complete driver's education if offered at their school.
- College Student Discount - Older children who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
- Multiple Cars - Having multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Senior Citizens - Older drivers are able to get a slight reduction on a Chesapeake auto insurance quote.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think it's possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including automatic seat belts, 55 and older, air bags, theft prevention, good student, student driver, and early bird.
- Progressive offers discounts for homeowner, good student, online signing, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm has savings for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, and passive restraint.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for accident-free, easy pay, anti-theft, family plan, defensive driving, and multi-policy.
- Esurance discounts include defensive driver, online quote, good student, Switch & Save, and multi-car.
- The Hartford includes discounts for good student, air bag, driver training, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, defensive driver, and bundle.
Double check with each company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not apply in Chesapeake. To choose providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Chesapeake, click here.
Car insurance agents can help
Some consumers just want to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision Professional agents can make sure you are properly covered and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local. Supporting small agencies is especially important in Chesapeake.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Chesapeake that provide free Chesapeake auto insurance quotes to get your business. You won't even need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If for some reason you want to get a price quote for a specific company, just visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just a cheap price. Any good agent in Chesapeake should know the answers to these questions.
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Chesapeake?
- How long has their agency been open in Chesapeake?
If you feel you receive reasonable responses to these questions and locked in a price quote, you may have found a company that meets the requirements to properly service your insurance policy. Just keep in mind you have the power to cancel coverage whenever you want so don't feel that you're stuck with a specific agent with no way to switch.
Auto insurance coverage specifics
Having a good grasp of auto insurance aids in choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Ford F-150.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/20), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Most of the time these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Coverage for medical expenses
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for short-term medical expenses for things like ambulance fees, X-ray expenses and chiropractic care. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your F-150 caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, scraping a guard rail, rolling your car and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to bump up the deductible on your F-150 to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive auto insurance
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as rock chips in glass, fire damage and hail damage. The highest amount you'll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability auto insurance
This coverage can cover damage that occurs to other people or property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/20 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $20,000. Some companies may use a combined limit which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims like loss of income, court costs and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Virginia state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like extreme rates for teen drivers, high rates after DUI convictions, lack of trust in their agent and unfair underwriting practices. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a great new company is less work than it seems.
You just learned some good ideas how you can save on Ford F-150 insurance in Chesapeake. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with a small mutual company.
As you quote Chesapeake auto insurance, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, someone dropped collision coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles: