Trying to find low cost Honda Insight insurance in Norfolk could be hard for drivers who are new to online insurance quotes. There are so many choices that it can quickly become a big hassle to locate the lowest prices.
Unbelievable but true according to a study a large majority of auto insurance policyholders renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. Consumers in Virginia could save nearly $500 every year by just comparing quotes, but they don't understand how simple it is to compare rate quotes.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to reduce the price you pay using the ideas you're about to read. Quoting and comparing rates for affordable coverage in Norfolk is not as time-consuming as you think. But Virginia consumers do need to learn how the larger insurance companies determine premium rates because rates fluctuate considerably.
When price shopping your coverage, quoting more increases the chance that you will find lower pricing.
The following companies are ready to provide free rate quotes in Virginia. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can raise or lower coverage prices significantly.
Full coverage versus liability-only
The example below shows the comparison of Honda Insight insurance prices with full coverage and liability only. The premium estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no exact rule to stop paying for full coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Insight claim settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $400 a year for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Auto insurance rates based on gender
The example below visualizes the comparison of Honda Insight insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no accidents or driving violations, full coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Get cheaper Honda Insight insurance in Norfolk with discounts
Car insurance can be pricey, but there could be significant discounts that you may not even know about. Certain credits will be shown at quote time, but some need to be manually applied in order for you to get them.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being deployed in the military could mean lower car insurance rates.
- E-sign - Some larger companies will give you a small discount shop Norfolk car insurance digitally online.
- Payment Discounts - If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Multiple Vehicles - Drivers who insure several vehicles on the same car insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - Teen drivers should enroll in driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Multi-line Discount - Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you lower prices if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Multiple Policy Discount - When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with the same company you could get a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers who don't have accidents get the best car insurance rates compared to policyholders that have many claims.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don't apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, you're out of luck.
A list of car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including student away at school, safe vehicle, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, and good driver.
- GEICO discounts include federal employee, driver training, daytime running lights, seat belt use, emergency military deployment, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive offers discounts for online quote discount, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, and online signing.
- 21st Century may offer discounts for driver training, student driver, defensive driver, automatic seat belts, and good student.
- American Family has savings for TimeAway discount, air bags, early bird, good student, and accident-free.
- The Hartford may include discounts for driver training, air bag, defensive driver, good student, and vehicle fuel type.
- AAA includes discounts for anti-theft, multi-policy, pay-in-full, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
When quoting, ask all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Savings may not apply to policyholders in your area. If you would like to choose from a list of providers with discount rates in Norfolk, click here to view.
Getting quotes from local Norfolk insurance agents
A small number of people would prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing that can be a smart decision One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain cheap insurance rates but also keep your business local. Supporting local agencies is definitely important in Norfolk.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Norfolk that give free quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you. It's the lowest rates without a big time investment. If you want to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
If you would like to find a reliable agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies and how they work. Agents in Norfolk can be described as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are normally appointed by many insurers so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a lower price, your agent can just switch to a different company without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing insurance rates, we recommend you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Many write coverage with small regional insurance companies which can be an advantage.
The following is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Norfolk who may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
- Met Life Auto and Home Insurance
Norfolk, VA 23502 - Norfolk, VA 23502 - (757) 747-2381 - View Map
- Prudential Insurance Co
616 W 24th St - Norfolk, VA 23517 - (757) 304-6172 - View Map
- S L Nusbaum Insurance Inc
500 W 21st St #300 - Norfolk, VA 23517 - (757) 622-4653 - View Map
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price. A lot of people buy insurance from these agents mostly because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Norfolk willing to provide rate quotes.
- Kelly Zahratka - State Farm Insurance Agent
409 Yarmouth St a - Norfolk, VA 23510 - (757) 626-1020 - View Map
- John Workman - State Farm Insurance Agent
7425 Tidewater Dr - Norfolk, VA 23505 - (757) 583-4589 - View Map
- Garry Price - State Farm Insurance Agent
870 N Military Hwy #200 - Norfolk, VA 23502 - (757) 853-7410 - View Map
Choosing an auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a low price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- How long has their agency been in business in Norfolk?
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
It's not one size fits all
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a "perfect" insurance plan. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Virginia?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- When should I drop full coverage on my Honda Insight?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Is my Honda Insight covered if I use it for business?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Four Tips to Get Cheap Norfolk Insurance Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that go into determining your auto insurance rates. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower rates. Many different elements are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, although some other factors are less apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
Your career may increase prices - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers such as judges, executives and medical professionals are shown to have higher premiums than the average policyholder due to high stress levels and long work hours. On the other hand, occupations such as scientists, engineers and performers have the lowest average rates.
Age of drivers - Beginning drivers in Virginia are statistically shown to be less responsible when driving and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher. Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, cause fewer claims and accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
More traffic means higher claims - Living in a small town may provide you with better prices when it comes to auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers on the road means a lower chance of having an accident in addition to fewer liability claims.
Liability insurance safeguards assets - The liability coverage on your policy provides coverage if ever you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Insurance just makes sense
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda Insight insurance, insuring your vehicle is required by state law in Virginia and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Honda Insight has a lienholder, almost every bank will stipulate that you have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at a significantly higher premium and make you pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also cover medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $750 every year so smart consumers compare quotes every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Frequent quotes can save
We just showed you a lot of ways to get a better price on Honda Insight insurance in Norfolk. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting low cost Norfolk car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest car insurance rates come from a small mutual company.
When buying insurance coverage, don't be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
The cheapest Honda Insight insurance in Norfolk is available from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not provide rate quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- How Much is Virginia Car Insurance for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Virginia Auto Insurance Rates for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)