Searching for better insurance prices for a car in Virginia can be an all-consuming task, but you can learn our insurance buying tips to save time. There are more efficient ways to compare insurance rates so we're going to tell you the quickest way to get price quotes for your and obtain the lowest price from both online companies and Harrisonburg agents.
It's a good habit to get comparison quotes as often as possible because insurance prices tend to go up over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on insurance last year a different company probably has better rate quotes today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because you're about to learn the tricks you need to know to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Discount Harrisonburg car insurance quotes
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available that you may not know about. Some discounts will apply at quote time, but some need to be asked for prior to getting the savings. If they aren't giving you every credit you qualify for, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Military Rewards - Being deployed in the military may lower your car insurance rates slightly.
- Smart Student Discounts - Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- 55 and Retired - Mature drivers may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Paperless Signup - Many larger companies will give you a small discount for buying a policy and signing up on your computer.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your auto and home policies with the same insurance company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Harrisonburg Homeowners Discount - Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because it requires personal responsibility.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, it's just not the way it works.
A few of the larger companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, anti-theft, passive restraint, multiple autos, and accident-free.
- Nationwide offers discounts including Farm Bureau membership, multi-policy, good student, easy pay, family plan, anti-theft, and business or organization.
- GEICO includes discounts for daytime running lights, military active duty, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, air bags, and defensive driver.
- AAA offers premium reductions for anti-theft, multi-car, AAA membership discount, good student, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century discounts include driver training, air bags, anti-lock brakes, teen driver, automatic seat belts, and early bird.
- The Hartford offers discounts for vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, defensive driver, air bag, and driver training.
Double check with every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts might not apply in Harrisonburg. For a list of insurance companies who offer cheap car insurance quotes in Virginia, follow this link.
Most larger insurance companies allow consumers to get coverage prices directly from their websites. The process is possible for anyone as you simply enter your coverage information into the form. Behind the scenes, the system sends out for reports for credit and driving violations and returns a price quote.
The ability to get online rate quotes simplifies rate comparisons, and it is imperative to perform this step if you want to get the lowest payment on car insurance.
In order to fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you type in the coverage information exactly as shown on your declarations page. This ensures you will have comparison quotes for similar coverage.
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Harrisonburg, VA. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$600||$300||$50|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,004||$502||$84|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$948||$474||$79|
|Ford Edge Limited 2WD||$842||$421||$70|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$680||$340||$57|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$936||$468||$78|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$884||$442||$74|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,208||$604||$101|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$742||$371||$62|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$890||$445||$74|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$702||$351||$59|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$820||$410||$68|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$738||$369||$62|
|Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2-Dr||$842||$421||$70|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$880||$440||$73|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$852||$426||$71|
|Toyota Corolla S||$832||$416||$69|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in your specific Harrisonburg location which can revise premiums greatly.
The diagram below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can influence Toyota Camry annual premium costs for different age groups. The costs are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Annual premiums for males compared to females
The example below illustrates the comparison of insurance premiums for male and female drivers in Hampton. The rates are based on no violations or accidents, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Kia Optima SX.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Price influencing factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower auto insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the items utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
A good credit score can save money - Having a good credit history factor in your rate calculation. Drivers with excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible than drivers who have bad credit. Therefore, if your credit history is low, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Pay more of a claim out-of-pocket - Physical damage deductibles define how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called 'full coverage', covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of covered claims are rearending another vehicle, fire damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The higher the amount you have to pay, the less money you will pay for auto insurance.
Never have coverage lapses - Going without insurance is a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher premiums, being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a license revocation or jail time. You could then be forced to file a SR-22 with the Virginia motor vehicle department.
Long commutes cost more - Driving more miles in a year's time the more you will pay for auto insurance. A lot of companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos that sit idle most of the time receive better premium rates compared to those used for work or business. Verify your declarations sheet is showing the correct usage.
The type of car you drive affects your rates - The performance of the car or truck you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a big difference in determining your rates. The lowest rates will generally be found on small economy passenger vehicles, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
You may save more by combining policies - Most auto insurance companies provide better rates to insureds that have more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
Always remember that when buying coverage online or from an agent, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions could help you determine whether you may require specific advice.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- What can I do if my company won't pay a claim?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Virginia?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require specific limits of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in Virginia is overpaying more than $700 annually so smart consumers compare quotes at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
In the end, you can save money
We just showed you a lot of ways to lower your car insurance premium rates in Harrisonburg. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Harrisonburg auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Regional companies can often provide lower prices in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When you buy Harrisonburg auto insurance online, it's a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, an insured cut physical damage coverage only to regret that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More detailed car insurance information can be read in these articles:
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- How Much are Virginia Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for High School Students in Virginia? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Chesapeake, Virginia? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Portsmouth, Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Virginia Car Insurance for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Good Students in Virginia? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)