Want to learn how to buy more affordable insurance rates in Waynesboro, VA? If you are new to getting Waynesboro auto insurance quotes online, you may be confused thanks to all the different types of online insurance companies and websites all advertising big savings.
Amazlingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that most insurance customers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never quoted insurance rates at all. With the average insurance premium being $1,200, Virginia drivers could save as much as 45% each year, but most tend to underestimate the benefits if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
It's important to compare rates quite often since insurance rates go up and down regularly. Just because you found the best deal on insurance six months ago there is a good chance you can find better prices now. Ignore everything you know about insurance because you're going to get a crash course in the fastest and easiest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Get cheaper rates on car insurance with these discounts
Car insurance can be pricey, but you can get discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some discounts will apply when you quote, but a few must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with one insurance company you may earn nearly 15% which can help you find the cheapest Waynesboro auto insurance.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving less could qualify for better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Payment Discounts - If paying your policy premium upfront rather than spreading payments over time you may reduce your total bill.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers who don't have accidents can save substantially in comparison with drivers who are more careless.
- Professional Memberships - Being a member of a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break on your bill.
As a footnote on discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you're out of luck.
Some companies that may offer policyholders some of the discounts shown above include:
When comparing rates, check with all the companies the best way to save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. To see a list of car insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Waynesboro, click here.
All the larger auto insurance companies give prices from their websites. This process is fairly simple because you just enter the amount of coverage you want into the quote form. After you complete the form, their system orders reports for credit and driving violations and quotes a price.
Being able to quote online makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it's absolutely necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you are searching for the most affordable premium.
To find out how much you can save on auto insurance, check out the auto insurance providers below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you enter the coverage information identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you are getting a price comparison for the exact same coverage.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Virginia. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you compare several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Informed consumers save more
When buying auto insurance it's important to understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating your premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in lower rates.
- Gaps in coverage mean higher auto insurance rates - Allowing your coverage to lapse can be a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you a license revocation or jail time. You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Virginia motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Alarm systems save money - Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent auto theft.
- Accidents cost more than a fine - Having a clean driving record influences premium rates substantially. Attentive drivers tend to pay less for car insurance compared to bad drivers. Having a single citation may cause rates to rise forty percent or more. People who have dangerous violations like DUI or willful reckless driving may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Liability is important - Your policy's liability coverage will protect you when a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides for a legal defense which can cost a lot. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should carry high limits.
Comparing rates from local Waynesboro insurance agents
Many people would rather sit down and talk to an agent and that is a smart decision One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting local insurance agents is important especially in Waynesboro.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is emailed to insurance agents in Waynesboro who want to provide quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, feel free to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
When researching a reliable insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies in Waynesboro can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, your agent can switch companies and you won't have to switch agencies. If you need lower rates, you absolutely need to compare prices from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options. Many independent agencies also insure through additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies are well schooled in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from exclusives mainly due to the brand rather than low price.
Choosing an insurance agent requires more thought than just the quoted price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
Car insurance just makes sense
Despite the high cost, car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Car insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendent in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially when you need to use it. Today the average American driver overpays as much as $865 each year so you should quote and compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
As you quote Waynesboro auto insurance, don't be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We covered a lot of techniques to save on insurance in Waynesboro. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Budget-friendly insurance in Waynesboro is possible both online in addition to many Waynesboro insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies do not provide rates over the internet and many times these smaller companies sell through local independent agents.
Additional detailed information can be read in these articles: