Do you want to learn how to find cheaper Toyota Tacoma insurance in Chesapeake? If you're searching for lower-cost insurance on the web, are you overwhelmed by the dozens of car insurance choices that you can choose from? Many other people are too. There are so many choices that it can easily become a big hassle to find a cheaper company. Everyone knows Chesapeake is a wonderful place to live, but inflated car insurance prices can make it hard for many residents to buy full coverage.
It's amazing but the vast majority of car insurance customers kept buying from the same company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Many consumers in Virginia can save as much as 45% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate the actual amount they would save if they switch to a new company.
You should make it a habit to take a look at other company's rates once or twice a year because car insurance prices are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the lowest price on Toyota Tacoma insurance in Chesapeake two years ago you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the things you must know in order to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
Finding the cheapest coverage in Chesapeake is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. If you have a policy now, you will most likely be able to reduce premiums using the tips covered below. Nevertheless, Virginia drivers do need to understand the way companies charge you for coverage.
To find cheaper quotes, there are a couple of ways to obtain and compare prices from many different Virginia insurance companies. By far the easiest way to find the lowest Toyota Tacoma rates consists of shopping online.
When comparison shopping, comparing a large number of companies helps you find lower pricing.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Chesapeake, VA. If several companies are displayed, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most competitive rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$156||$264||$262||$16||$78||$776||$65|
|Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$190||$446||$334||$20||$100||$1,090||$91|
|Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$120||$206||$290||$18||$88||$722||$60|
|Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$214||$392||$290||$18||$88||$1,002||$84|
|Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Package 4WD||$242||$392||$262||$16||$78||$990||$83|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Prices do not factor in specific Chesapeake garaging location which can change coverage rates considerably.
Auto insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and accidents can drive up Toyota Tacoma car insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Score discounts on Chesapeake car insurance
Some insurers don't necessarily list every discount very clearly, so we researched some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Claim-Free Discount - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts in comparison with accident-prone drivers.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Accident Waiver - Not necessarily a discount, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates as long as you don't have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Good Students Pay Less - Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- Mature Driver Discount - If you're over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for better car insurance rates.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don't profit that way. But all discounts should definitely cut your policy premiums.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts include:
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, student away at school, good student, passive restraint, and safe vehicle.
- Esurance includes discounts for online quote, good driver, defensive driver, safety device, and emergency road assistance.
- Progressive may offer discounts for homeowner, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include safety features, hybrid vehicle, multi-policy, new graduate, multi-car, newly married, and preferred payment discount.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, mature driver, group or association, paid in full, safe driver, and multiple vehicles.
- GEICO offers discounts for multi-policy, federal employee, membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, driver training, and seat belt use.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company which credits you are entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. For a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in Chesapeake, follow this link.
Car insurance agents can help
Some people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to participating agents in Chesapeake that give free quotes for your coverage. You don't have to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered directly to you. You can find better rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to compare rates from a specific insurance company, don't hesitate to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Picking an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Before buying a policy in Chesapeake, get answers to these questions.
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Chesapeake?
When looking for a good insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents and how they function. Agents in Chesapeake are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive write business for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Many people buy insurance from these agents partially due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Chesapeake that can give you comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Marshall Harrell
681 N Battlefield Blvd l - Chesapeake, VA 23320 - (757) 436-1704 - View Map
- Donnie Gill - State Farm Insurance Agent
308 George Washington Hwy N #1 - Chesapeake, VA 23323 - (757) 487-3451 - View Map
- Allison Plante - State Farm Insurance Agent
200 N Battlefield Blvd #6 - Chesapeake, VA 23320 - (757) 410-9900 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company without you having to go to a different agency. If you are comparing insurance prices, you need to compare quotes from at least one independent agent to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to companies you've never heard of who may have lower rates.
Shown below are independent agencies in Chesapeake that can give you rate quotes.
- Cooksey Insurance Agency
845 Greenfield Ln - Chesapeake, VA 23322 - (757) 819-6896 - View Map
- Direct Auto Insurance
4400 Indian River Rd a - Chesapeake, VA 23325 - (757) 455-9072 - View Map
- Deborah Williams Insurance Agency, Inc./Global Green Insurance Agency
4200 Portsmouth Blvd #628 - Chesapeake, VA 23321 - (757) 967-9600 - View Map
Informed Consumers Know How to Find Insurance Cheaper
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the things that help calculate your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that could result in lower insurance prices. Many factors are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but some are not quite as obvious like where you live or your vehicle rating.
Listed below are a few of the "ingredients" used by companies to determine your prices.
- Tough employer may mean higher prices - Occupational choices like military generals, police officers, and dentists tend to have the highest average rates attributed to stressful work requirements and long work days. On the other hand, occupations such as actors, students and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Influences performance influences auto insurance costs - The performance of the car or truck you need to insure makes a significant difference in your auto insurance rates. Due to the fact that the Toyota Tacoma falls in the pickup truck class, insuring your vehicle will cost similar in price compared to average rates in Chesapeake. Smaller low performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Cautious drivers pay better premiums - A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Getting just one chargeable violation can increase rates twenty percent or more. Attentive drivers get better prices as compared to those with violations. People who have flagrant violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may need to prove financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to continue driving.
- Single drivers may pay more - Getting married can get you a discount when shopping for insurance. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are more financially stable and it's statistically proven that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Alarm systems lower prices - Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help prevent vehicle theft.
- Toyota Tacoma insurance claim data - Companies use claims history in order to profitably underwrite each model. Vehicles that tend to have higher loss trends will have a higher cost to insure. The table below demonstrates the historical loss data for Toyota Tacoma vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles combined as an average is equal to 100. Values under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more claims or statistically larger losses.
Toyota Tacoma Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 2WD 79 109 70 77 76 92 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD 82 104 84 64 56 77 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab LWB 2WD 87 108 74 96 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab LWB 4WD 84 104 88 68 57 79 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2WD 80 105 60 86 75 96 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 4WD 71 90 77 48 51 65
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why you need car insurance
Despite the high cost, car insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Toyota at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance safeguards your Toyota Tacoma and your assets. It will also cover medical bills for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is wasting up to $869 every year so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
More effort can pay off
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service or even delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, finding the right insurance provider is not as hard as you think.
Affordable Toyota Tacoma insurance in Chesapeake can be sourced online and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not offer internet price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
When searching for low cost Chesapeake car insurance quotes, it's a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about insurance in Virginia can be found at the links below
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Virginia Car Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Leesburg, Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Virginia Car Insurance Rates for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Ford Escape in Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Single Moms in Virginia? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Welfare Recipients in Virginia? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Civic in Virginia? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Centreville, Virginia? (FAQ)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)