Getting the cheapest quotes on the web is rather challenging for consumers not familiar with buying insurance on the web. With such a big selection of agents and insurers to choose from, how can anyone be able to compare every one to find the best price?
Unbelievably, most auto insurance buyers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates from other carriers. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,240, Virginia drivers could save themselves as much as 45% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't believe how much money they would save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around quite often because auto insurance rates go up and down regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best premium rates on auto insurance a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to how to quote online to find better coverage on auto insurance at a better price.
This article's intent is to help educate you on how to get online quotes and some money-saving tips. If you already have coverage, you will surely be able to reduce the price you pay using the ideas presented in this article. Although Virginia vehicle owners must comprehend how the larger insurance companies compete online and use this information to your advantage.
Just remember that having more price comparisons increases your odds of finding a lower rate than you're paying now.
The companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Virginia. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Do you qualify for discounts on auto insurance?
Some insurers do not advertise all possible discounts very well, so the following is a list of some of the best known as well as some of the hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Blacksburg car insurance online.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a discounted price on car insurance if you buy some life insurance too.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying insurance for several vehicles on a single policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Data Collection Discounts - Drivers who elect to allow their company to scrutinize driving habits by using a telematic data system such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but some companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual may permit one accident without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy and insure them with the same company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Theft Deterent - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver - Completing a safe driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Driver Education Discount - It's a good idea to have your young drivers sucessfully take a driver's education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Professional Organizations - Belonging to certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on your next auto insurance statement.
One thing to note about discounts is that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like it's possible to get free car insurance, you're out of luck.
A few of the larger companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- State Farm has discounts for Drive Safe & Save, driver's education, anti-theft, student away at school, accident-free, safe vehicle, and multiple policy.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, multi-policy, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, good student, and multi-policy.
- MetLife may have discounts that include multi-policy, accident-free, claim-free, good student, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for multi-vehicle, driver training, good student, youthful driver, and renewal discount.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including emergency military deployment, air bags, driver training, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO has savings for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, drive less, homeowner, and teen safe driver.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some credits may not apply to policies everywhere. To see a list of insurance companies who offer cheap auto insurance quotes in Blacksburg, click this link.
Smart buyers know how to buy insurance cheaper
Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that help calculate your premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in big savings. Many things are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, although others are more obscure such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
- Higher comp and collision deductibles save money - Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered would be collision with another vehicle, collision with an animal, or theft. Physical damage deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Marriage can lower premiums - Getting married may earn you lower rates compared to being single. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more financially stable and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
- Poor credit decisions can cost you - Having a good credit score will be a significant factor in calculating your premium rate. Insureds that have very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower ratings. If your credit is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit.
- Alarm systems save money - Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart theives like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
Cheaper auto insurance rates are out there
While you're price shopping online, don't be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced full coverage to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions and even not issuing a premium refund. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a new auto insurance company is actually quite simple.
Affordable auto insurance in Blacksburg can be found online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not offer rate quotes online and these smaller providers only sell through local independent agents.
To read more, feel free to browse these articles: